NAME OF SCHOOL
TIME (2 HRS,)
Citizens' Campaign for Commercial-Free Schools, Team Leader
Teacher (Union Rep)
1. Bring materials
Walkthrough form for each team member, pens, clipboards, press packet, camera, a few CCCS trifolds, CCCS sign-up sheet, CCCS Nametags
2. Check In
At main office; ask staff for maps of the building if available. Wear CCCS nametag and make sure all team members sign in and wear visitor badge.
3. Orient Team (10-15 min.)
Introductions, explain purpose(s) of walkthrough, distribute walkthrough forms, and point out the main sections, answer questions, divide up tasks if you like (e.g. go down different hallways). Be sure to get name, phone, address, email of each team member. If groups divide up, arrange to meet back at the main office at a specified time to collect the completed walkthrough forms
4. During Walkthrough (60-90 min.)
- Write down any ads, logos, vending machines, sponsored materials, Channel One. Check out a few classrooms, lunchroom, gym, library, nursing station, counseling office, lounge areas, science room, or computer room. Take photos of ads, etc.
- Interview the principal at her convenience during or following the walkthrough. Interview teachers and students who are on breaks between classes or at lunchtime.
- Collect artifacts, with permission (i.e. copies of free book covers, posters, sponsored educational materials, etc.)
- Add names of any interested staff/students to the CCCS sign-up sheet. However, note that there will not be time to debate the merits of commercialism with staff members or students while you are on the walkthrough. Instead, refer people to our website if they want more info.
5. Debriefing (10-15 min.)
Collect ALL walkthrough forms, notes, clipboards and artifacts. Get suggestions and comments; answer questions. Distribute 'Risks' handout to each team member. Thank everyone.
Questions? Call Brita Butler-Wall