The Seattle Community Network (SCN) is a free public-access computer network for exchanging and accessing information. Beyond that, however, it is a service conceived for community empowerment. Our principles are a series of commitments to help guide the ongoing development and management of the system for both the organizers and participating individuals and organizations.
Commitment to AccessAccess to the SCN will be free to all
- We will provide access to all groups of people particularly those without ready access to information technology.
- We will provide access to people with diverse needs. This may include special-purpose interfaces.
- We will make the SCN accessible from public places.
Commitment to ServiceThe SCN will offer reliable and responsive service
- We will provide information that is timely and useful to the community.
- We will provide access to databases and other services.
Commitment to DemocracyThe SCN will promote participation in government and public dialogue
- The community will be actively involved in the ongoing development of the SCN.
- We will place high value in freedom of speech and expression and in the free exchange of ideas.
- We will make every effort to ensure privacy of the system users.
- We will support democratic use of electronic technology.
Commitment to the World CommunityIn addition to serving the local community, we will become part of the regional, national and international community
- We will build a system that can serve as a model for other communities.
Commitment to the FutureWe will continue to evolve and improve the SCN
- We will explore the use of innovative applications such as electronic town halls for community governance, or electronic encyclopedias for enhanced access to information.
- We will work with information providers and with groups involved in similar projects using other media.
- We will solicit feedback on the technology as it is used, and make it as accessible and humane as possible.
Return/go to SCN home page.