Signed Up For the Military?

If You Change Your Mind...

You’ve signed up for the military through the Delayed Entry Program (DEP). It’s a decision you made with pride. But maybe the recruiter’s promises have lost their shine. Maybe you are no longer interested in preparing for, and possibly going to, war . If you’re having second thoughts, we can help you get out of the DEP.

What if I decide I don’t want to go?

You don’t have to. Your recruiter may tell you otherwise. Some recruiters have even threatened recruits with criminal charges or arrest. This will not happen, and recruiters are forbidden to make such threats! Regardless of what the recruiters say or do, if you are in the DEP and you no longer want to serve you can get out. If you are having doubts, do not go to basic training! Once you go on active duty it is much harder to get out.

How do I get out of the DEP?

it’s simple. Write a letter requesting separation that fully explains why you are unable or unwilling to serve. Contact CCCO at the numbers listed below for help in preparing a request for separation and where to send the letter. The recruiter’s com mander, not the recruiter, is the one who approves requests for separation.

What am I getting into?

Remember what you’re signing up for when you join the military: preparing for, and participating in, war. Soldiers are trained to kill people. Is this something you’re willing to do?

Military recruiters will promise you money for college, job skills, and adventure. Despite the recruiting pitch, a disappointingly low number of veterans get money for college and it is far less than the amount promise dint he ads. Most of the skills taught in the military are specific to the military and are not useful for civilian jobs. Veterans actually have a higher rate of unemployment than non-veterans and few veterans report using their military experience in civilian life. For more informat ion on recruiter’s promises, contact CCCO.

Getting Out of the Military’s Delayed Entry Program

Last year, nearly 400,000 young people enlisted in the US military through the Delayed Entry Program (DEP). Not all of them wanted to go. If a young person changes their mind about enlisting in the military, you can help!

What is the DEP?

Most people who enlist are signed up into the Delayed Entry Program (DEP) for up to a year before they report for active duty training. Sign now, pay later. It’s a popular way to sell cars, stereos, and .... military enlistment. The DEP is particula rly attractive to high school seniors who are unsure about what to do after graduation. A lot can happen in a year (especially for teenagers!), and many young people change their minds about what they want to do with their lives.

How does someone get out of the DEP?

While DEP recruits have incurred a legal obligation to the military, getting out of the DEP is simple: write a letter requesting separation that fully explains why the recruit is unable or unwilling to serve. If there is more than one reason, explain them all.

What kinds of reasons are acceptable?

While the military defines specific separation categories, as long as the recruit states clearly that they are no longer interested in serving in the military almost any reason is acceptable. Despite occasional threats of involuntary activation from r ecruiters, the military currently releases all DEP recruits who request a separation.

The military’s list of discharge categories includes: conscientious objection ( a belief that it is wrong to take part in war); pursuit of higher education or vocational training; civilian job opportunity; erroneous enlistment or recruiting error; fai lure to graduate high school; family issues (marriage, children, hardship, or dependency); homosexual conduct; medical or psychological disqualifications; personal problems; failure to report for active duty; and a catch-all "other."

Where is the separation request sent?

The recruiter does not have the authority to grant separations and will try to re-sell the military to the recruit. Therefore, the letter requesting the separation should be addressed to “Commander” at the recruiting station where the recruit signed u p. you can look up the address of the recruiting station in the phone book (under US Government) or look on the enlistment agreement. Keep a copy of the letter.

What happens after the letter is sent?

The military will review the letter and process the request. The recruit might be asked to appear at the recruiting station for a brief interview, but this usually is not necessary. (If the military does not respond, or turns down the initial request , contact CCCO.) When the request has been processed, the military issues a void enlistment or uncharacterized separation that will not affect the recruit’s record or career.

For more information, contact:

655 Sutter Street, #514
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 474-3002

1515 Cherry Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102
(215) 563-8787

225 North 70th Street
Seattle, WA 98103
(206) 789-2751