Seattle Community Network
SCNA is the all volunteer-run nonprofit association providing the Seattle
Community Network (scn.org), and we are currently looking for potential
candidates for the board of directors. The board is responsible for setting
SCNA's goals and actively supporting the work of its operational teams.
Currently, SCNA's work includes:
- providing free email to anyone, accessible through local libraries,
other public access points and home computers (even old ones),
- providing educational classes to promote internet literacy, including email training classes for new users, and
- providing the SCN web site (www.scn.org), complete with
free web page hosting for users and community groups.
We plan to continue improving and expanding our services in the coming
years, and could use your help to do so.
Why would you share your talents and time with us?
- You have time and energy to improve the community.
- The experience would be rewarding.
- You believe in SCNA's work and want to help direct SCNA's future.
- You have your own reasons (tell us!).
We want to make the board more effective in directing SCNA's future services. To that end we have developed the following list of characteristics we are seeking:
Potential board members should have all of these:
- Passion for SCN's work and its potential value in the community
- Time available for monthly board meetings and committee work
- Excellent follow through
- Regular access to email
- Membership in SCNA (either through the donation of $25 or more, or
through volunteering several hours)
and one or more of these:
- Community building experience
- Volunteer or Human Resources management experience
- Fundraising or marketing expertise, especially with demonstrated results
- Good connections within one or more of:
- a variety of community-based nonprofit organizations
- potential funders (individuals and/or organizations)
- regional library systems
- Ability to represent underserved/marginalized communities
- (disabled, low income, homeless, minorities, immigrants, etc.)
- Legal expertise, especially in Internet legal issues
- Accounting expertise, especially with 501(c)(3) nonprofits
If you are interested, please e-mail Melissa Guest at firstname.lastname@example.org and cc email@example.com. Include a bit about yourself, why you would be a good addition to the board, and attach a resume if it is convenient. Please include your phone number(s) and the best times to reach you. We will schedule a phone call for you with one of our board members.
To be seriously considered, you should sign up for at least one of the many volunteer tasks we currently have available. If you're not now interested in serving on the board, we'd still love to have your help with our volunteer tasks. Please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have even a few hours a month you could volunteer.
If you know anyone who you think is an appropriate candidate and might be interested, please forward this message.
Thank you again for your support of SCNA's work.
Melissa Guest, SCNA Vice President
Updated September 22, 1999