Partnership Project Proposal
Updated: September 27, 2000
The Partnership Project is the primary component of the "Community Information Systems" program. Each student will work in a team with other students over a three-quarter period developing web-based software for a community that has submitted a proposal. Some of the communities are in the Pacific Northwest and some will be in other places in the world; Argentina, Pakistan, Sarawak, Russia, Mexico and Italy are possibilities. Students will use the same suite of public domain tools (including Perl, Apache, HTML, Linux and MySQL).
Schedule -- Activities and Deliverables
The main activity this quarter in relation to the Partnership Project is for the Evergreen team and the Community Partners to learn about each other and to start developing the preliminary plan which is due at the end of the quarter. The Evergreen team and the community should share photographs, "life stories", and information about their respective cultures (including, for example, social needs, constraints, history, facts and figures). The student team also needs to determine how they will work together, what they'll produce, how they'll interact with the community, and what roles and responsibilities the team members will assume. The main deliverable for this quarter is a preliminary plan. It must contain:
- September 27, 2000. First program meeting time.
- October 4, 2000. Discussion of project
- October 7, 2000. Assembling student teams; Discussion between student team and community partners begins.
- November 29 and December 6. Partnership project team team presentations.
- December 6, 2000. Delivery of preliminary plan to community and to faculty.
Winter (will probably be revised)
- Description of community (see above)
- Description of problem to be addressed
- Description of the role the web application will assume in addressing the problem
- Requirements for web application
- Sample screens
- Database tables
- Team management approach
- Schedule of tasks
Spring (will probably be revised)
- January 10, 2001. First program meeting date winter quarter.
- April, 2001. Presentation and interim project report due.
- April 4, 2001. First program meeting date spring quarter.
- June 6, 2001. Partnership Project Fair
Ground rules and guidelines
During the nine-month course of the project the student teams, individual students, faculty, and partners will all operate under the partnership project ground rules and guidelines.
- Pomona (http://www.scn.org/tesc-ds/2000-2001/fall/proposals/pomona.html)
- Esmeraldas (http://www.scn.org/tesc-ds/2000-2001/fall/proposals/esmeraldas.html)
- Mason County (http://www.scn.org/tesc-ds/2000-2001/fall/proposals/mason.html)
- Patent Medicine (http://www.scn.org/tesc-ds/2000-2001/fall/proposals/patent_medicine.html)
- Life Maps (http://www.scn.org/tesc-ds/2000-2001/fall/proposals/lifemap.html)
- Hamakua (http://www.scn.org/tesc-ds/2000-2001/fall/proposals/hamakua.html)
- Orient (http://www.scn.org/tesc-ds/2000-2001/fall/proposals/orient.html)
- Naalehu (http://www.scn.org/tesc-ds/2000-2001/fall/proposals/naalehu.html)
- Community Technology Centers Vista Project (http://www.scn.org/tesc-ds/2000-2001/fall/proposals/ctc.html)
- Farm_workers (http://www.scn.org/tesc-ds/2000-2001/fall/proposals/farm_worker.html)
- Frankston (http://www.scn.org/tesc-ds/2000-2001/fall/proposals/frankston.html)
- Weippe (http://www.scn.org/tesc-ds/2000-2001/fall/proposals/weippe.html)
- Morelos (http://www.scn.org/tesc-ds/2000-2001/fall/proposals/morelos.html)
- Eco (http://www.scn.org/tesc-ds/2000-2001/fall/proposals/eco.html)
- Chelyabinsk (http://www.scn.org/tesc-ds/2000-2001/fall/proposals/chelyabinsk.html)
- Telling Stories (http://www.scn.org/tesc-ds/2000-2001/fall/proposals/telling_stories.html)
- Psych (http://www.scn.org/tesc-ds/2000-2001/fall/proposals/psych.html)
- Community Resource Network (http://www.scn.org/tesc-ds/2000-2001/fall/proposals/crn.html)
- Kathmandu (http://www.scn.org/tesc-ds/2000-2001/fall/proposals/kathmandu.html)
- Indonesia (http://www.scn.org/tesc-ds/2000-2001/fall/proposals/indonesia.html)